In the fall of 1981, Dub and Betty Findley felt the calling to provide a Christian camp and conference center in central Montana. A non-profit organization was established and a board chosen to lead the ministry. Shortly thereafter, 22 acres of property on US Highway 89 was purchased – eight miles from Showdown Ski Resort. The name “Mizpah” was chosen which means “lookout” or “watchtower”. Construction began with a 7 cabin complex named “Mountain Village”. This set of cabins provides housing, dining, and bathroom facilities for up to 50 people. Over the years Mizpah has been able to rent out the facilities for summer camps and weekend retreats.
The vision of expansion included activity areas and a modern lodge to house a larger array of groups. Lodge construction began in 2000. As funds allowed, the lodge was enclosed over the next few years.
In 2009 the Mizpah board approached Hannaford Street Bible Church to join in leading the ministry of Mizpah. Over the next few years, upgrades were implemented in the cabin and amphitheater while engineering and the permit process was pursued for the lodge. In the fall of 2014, the septic permit was acquired and the septic was installed.
Progress continues to be made with the goal of lodge completion in the near future. Completing the septic system was a large hurdle. Next in the process is the completion of the mechanical, plumbing and electrical.
Mizpah Christian Retreat has been developed, exists, and will continue to exist for years to come as a facility where God’s people can come away from the busyness of life and have an encounter with God and fellowship with Jesus Christ our Lord. It will be a place where the Lord’s people and the Churches of whom He is Head, can come apart for spiritual renewal and a time of reflection and enjoyment of God’s great outdoors. As a result, many will find a closer walk with Him and many will come to know Him as personal Lord and Savior.
Statement of Faith
Because there is a lot of confusion in our world about what constitutes Christian behavior, we have adopted a Statement Of Faith that reflects what we believe the Bible teaches us about Christian doctrine and behavior. We believe that the activities that take place at Mizpah Christian Retreat and Conference Center should be in keeping with and reflect the following:
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God in its entirety.
- Jesus Christ paid the price for our sin and is the only means whereby one can receive forgiveness of sin and inherit eternal life.
- Jesus Christ is our High Priest, ever making intercession for the believer who enjoys the office of Priesthood Of The Believer and access to God the Father through Jesus Christ.
- God represents Himself to man in the persons of God, the Father; God, the Son and God, the Holy Spirit
- God is present in the believer through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit who becomes Guide, Counselor, Teacher and our Advocate with Jesus.
- In God’s time, Jesus will return and rapture His Church as it is caught up to meet Him in the air. And later, to return to the earth with his Saints and set up His millennial reign where He shall reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
- At the end of His reign, the unbelievers will be eternally separated from God and His heaven and His Saints will occupy the Kingdom of Heaven which the Lord has prepared for those who love Him.